Mahabalipuram Or Mamallapuram


It’s been very long time that I had not posted anything. I was very busy with my office work and year end closure. I had been to Mahabalipuram a short day trip from Chennai (Previously known as Madras).

Mahabalipuram is very famous for its Art and Architecture, it is also called as Mamallapuram; all these were built by Pallavas. The name of the place is coined from the pallava king Mamalla. The Art and Architecture are very ancient built some where in 6th or 7th century. It is been approved by UNESCO as a word heritage center. The very famous shore temples and five rathas are unique and very exciting to see. I had been visiting this place from my childhood, as my father worked in a bank there. But then my current visit was very exciting and I could able to grab some snaps. The best things here are the statues in each place is been carved in one stone. The very famous site seeing places around are the shore temple very near to the sea, five rathas, elephant and other animals carved in granite, Arjuna penance, light house, seven pagodas by the sea, butter ball etc. This time when we went there was a dance festival, which was very awesome. I could able to see the authentic Indian dances which includes barathanatiyam, folk and other carnatic song events. There are more number of foreigners from different country visiting this place and you could even say it is next to Goa. My humble advice is not to take a guide here and not to encourage any beggars. If you have any contacts with the local tour operators with the help of them you can fix the guide and also there is some government of Tamil Nadu nominated guides, who help in good site seeing.  


Some of my snaps which could help you to see the places in Mahabalipuram:


Single rock carved Bull and Elephant. 

Butter stone, Stands like this is in a slope mountain for years. 

Some rock carvings


 

The great view of the Shore temples. 


The light house built on top of the small mountain.


The famous five rathas. 


The sea with the rocks!!!! 



3 comments:

I think, your blog also give a good contribution for your country tourism.
 
Thanks Tikno!!! hope u enjoy reading the travel details in my site
 
Nice pics....I will be visiting Mahabalipuram this month.

-Maneesh.
Admirableindia.com
 

About this blog

The text and images of this site is owned by myself, without any prior notice the content should not be misused in anyother site.

Content Administrator - arul.kadirvel@gmail.com